Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Haldimand "Will our next PM be a Veggie or a Fruit"

No veggie status for Harper, he'd rather be a fruit

Stephen Harper says he's sweet and colourful, just like a fruit.

The prime minister made the comment yesterday during a campaign stop inside the Peak of the Market produce warehouse on King Edward Street, where he was surrounded by cabbages, carrots, potatoes, cucumbers and other Manitoba-grown vegetables.

After a dozen or so reporters asked questions related to Harper's announcement about reducing the diesel excise tax, Mark Jardine, a City-TV reporter from Winnipeg, used the last question to address the elephant in the room.

"Just because this hasn't been asked and you're standing in front of these beautiful Manitoba, locally grown vegetables ... if you were a vegetable, what type of vegetable would you be and why?" Jardine said.

Harper, as well as everyone else in the room, laughed.

When Harper was just about to answer, he laughed again.

He then replied, while scratching his head, "I really don't know how to answer that one. I've never been asked that question before and I have a feeling that I can't win by answering that question. Let me say this, I would choose if I had to instead to be a fruit.

"It's just what I am, sweet and colourful."

Sun Media later asked the other party leaders what type of vegetable they would be.

"Spinach or Chinese choy, because it's the new kind of strong, full of iron and vitamins," said NDP Leader Jack Layton. "My mother-in-law feeds it to me whenever I'm home."

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May said she would be an organic artichoke, because "it's green, locally grown, and has a big heart."

Liberal Leader Stephane Dion's camp could not be reached for comment, while the Bloc Quebecois did not respond to the request.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/canadavotes/news/2008/09/10/6718151-sun.html

No comments:

Post a Comment